Samsung hints at a curvy Galaxy S6 smartphone in pre-MWC press event teaser
South Korean electronics giant Samsung has been sending out invitations to a press event it will hold on the eve of the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona next month. It is expected to pull out all the stops at the reveal event for the Samsung Galaxy S6 flagship smartphone.
Samsung has not enjoyed the greatest fortunes of late with Android smartphone buyers wandering off to other brands such as LG, Lenovo and HTC over the last year. Many consider last year’s elastoplast design Galaxy S5 to have been a flop and it certainly did break a winning run for Samsung. So what’s next?
As you can see above, Samsung isn’t giving a lot away. We have the date, venue and streaming information as reproduced below:
- Date : March 1st (Sun) – Presentation begins at 18:30 (CET)
- Venue Address : CCIB(Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona)
- Unpacked to be live streamed on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/SamsungMobile)and of course Samsung Tomorrow (http://global.SamsungTomorrow.com)
What do you make of the teaser image? Contrary to the rumours concerning the new Galaxy S6 coming packing some kind of left and/or right edge screen wraparound curved screen the undulating form suggests a smartphone with a ‘chin rest’ like the wonderful old HTC Hero or several years back. Is that likely? It would be a bold move and provide some clear differentiation in a crowded rounded rectangular slab dominated market.
The specs we do have for the Samsung Galaxy S6 are expected to follow the following rough outline:
- Processing: 64-bit Octa-core Samsung Exynos 7420 plus ARM Mali-T760 GPU
- Memory: 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage
- Screen: 5.5-inch Quad HD (1440 x 2560) display
- Cameras: 20MP/5MP back/ front facing cameras
- OS: Android 5.0 Lollipop
We also heard last month lots of rumours concerning the wraparound screen and glass back which would mean a non-removable battery cell.
Perhaps Samsung will be able to turn around its fortunes and pull something outstanding out of the bag at a great price. However the competition isn’t resting and we are also expecting stunning new handsets from rivals like Sony, Microsoft, HTC and Motorola. All in all MWC is shaping up to be a very exciting event for mobiles, and wearable tech, enthusiasts.
Source: Samsung Tomorrow